Fall is a season to try and experiment all sorts of things from fashion to fun. Don’t stick to your everyday routine this fall. Mix things up and stay young, fresh, and trendy as long as you can with these tips:
1. Get a Hipster Haircut: They’re in style now and may not be for too much longer. Do it while you can and say you lived in the moment.
2. Drink Fancy Beer: Be that guy or that girl at the bar that is too sophisticated for Bud Light.
3. Watch Indie Movies: There’s something about watching movies that people tend to hate or that have a more artistic sides.
4. Grow facial hair: Participate in Movember and grow out a hipster mustache. If you can’t commit to a stache, grow a beard and then trim it and play with it and eventually have 1 day with a mustache.
5. Drink pumpkin flavored teas/coffees: Nothing gets you cozy like a warm, flavorful cup of deliciousness as you watch one of those movies.
6. Listen to New/Trendy Music: This type of music isn’t what you’re going to hear on your everyday radio stations. This is that music you’ll hear in the trendy areas of Manhattan or in high school kids basements.
7. Dress up for no reason: Make tonight fancier than last night and dapper up.
8. Make fancy fall booze concoctions: Gold Rush Cocktail
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a Martini glass. Garnish with a cherry.
- .5 oz Gentleman Jack Tennessee Whiskey
- .25 oz Elderflower cordial
- .5 oz Simple syrup (one part sugar, one part water)
- 1 oz Unfiltered apple juice
- .5 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash Bitters
Garnish: Apple slice
9. Have Sunday Fundays with friends: Football can be boring alone, find excuses to make unhealthy food and enjoy it with some laughs.
10. Buy something way too trendy for your liking: Buy a sport coat or pea coat that is just too slim or too fashionable to what you’re used to. It will be your ice breaker to breaking out of your shell.
11. Find a new favorite restaurant: Find that hole in the wall place you see often, but never go to and be amazed. I went to a small Italian place in the city a bit ago that was so tiny and compressed, but it ended up being perfect. I felt as if I was in New York in one of their 80,000 restaurants.
12. Bring your mattress into the living room and be so lazy: Easier solution: air mattress. Movies all day, eating in bed, and maybe some wine at the end of the night. Boom!
13. Find a new favorite TV show: Fall is my favorite time to watch TV. When I think of fall I still think about the show Bored to Death. I miss it so much. I may have to watch it again.
14. Be spontaneous: Go do something you weren’t planning on doing. Whether it’s a road trip, visiting wineries, or heading up to see your old college friends, try it.
15. Wine taste: WNY has some great areas to wine taste and find beautiful scenic areas. The Finger Lakes are perfect.
16. Get out of your comfort zone: Make a video of yourself, try some daring event you’ve always wanted to, or experience life like you’ve wanted to by opening up. Often people don’t say things they want to say to people, bosses, friends, or someone they are attracted to. There’s no reason not to say the productive things on your mind. Tell her/him how you feel.
17. Watch the World Series: There is no better time to get into baseball than right now. Not a fan? Watch this series, pick a team, and roll with it. Playoff baseball is easily my favorite playoff sport of the year.
18. Diet with cheater days: The health kick is huge these days, but who’s to say you can’t enjoy a large pizza to yourself on Sundays?
19. Write a detailed thank you note to someone who has once in their life helped you out.
20. Dance in the street: You’ll think it’s cheesy but she won’t.
21. Carve pumpkins: It’s a cliche but it’s a fun one.
22. Enjoy this weather before the snow! Get outside. Bring blankets, scarves, flasks, coffees, or whatever will keep you warm and enjoy this time.