You see it at almost every wedding and black tie event, men wearing their tuxes that look more like waiters than anything else. The Tuxedo is not some new fasset of fashion. It’s been around for seemingly forever and will never go away. That does not mean that it can’t evolve…
Seriously boys, think about it before you rock the tux to your next big boy event, whatever it may be. Let’s look at some ways to renovate your tuxedo or find the next big thing for tuxes:
Color: I’ve made it very clear in previous posts that tuxes do not need to be your basic blacks and whites. I am still a very big believer of the epic, midnight blue tux, but shop around and see that there are other classy shades of blue, in the tuxedo department. And if you dare to be bold… look into burgundy tuxes!
Casual Tux: Got a wedding to attend and you want to tux it up, but not look like everyone else? Here’s what you do:
- Skip the bow tie
- Skip the tuxedo shirt- Tux shirts tend to look similar to that of something Captain Hook would wear under his jacket.
- Ditch the black shiny shoes- You’re not renting your tux and shoes from Marty’s Formal Wear anymore, get yourself into some shnazzy, non-black kicks.
- Skip the solid black tie- Go for a striped black and white tie or another matching color coordinate tie to your tux.
- Lose the socks- If the weather promotes it, just do it!
- Lose the belt- Most tuxes don’t need them, but do what you want with it!
- Wear a non-white dress shirt- Black tux? Wear a black and white shirt? Or try a light blue. Shake it up.
- Make your pocket square pop- Find a patterned square that meshes well with your shirt/tie/tux combo.
- Use different colored shoe laces- Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
I could go on forever baby (classic Home Alone line)… Seriously though, never will I be the boring tux guy again. I just legit got excited writing all of this.