Older men have just as much of an ability to stand out as the 21 year old dude in the room. It may take them a little more work, but they certainly still have the ability to be the man of the room.
Perks to Being Above 40:
1. You have the ability to “Pull off” a wider variety of clothing than that of your son(s). Go into your closet and realize that throwing on your 1990s Brooks Brothers shirt with your pleaded khakis, old loafers, and old sport coat is still acceptable. Being 40 and older means that modern day style and fashion is not a must for you. It is certainly an option, but not a mandatory one. Keep people guessing and go more modern one day, while going a little throw back the next.
2. Dad Jeans- You can still wear them. As a matter of fact, my Dad has a pair on as we speak and he’s looking good. Your 1990 jeans are probably still in your closet and are probably still getting good use. Just don’t be afraid to have a pair or 2 of some newer, fresher jeans.
3. You’re in the prime of your life. I like to think that no matter what age you are, you are in the prime of your life. I also like to think, that the older you grow, the wiser you get, the happier you become, and the more stylish/better looking you become. Embrace age with grace.
4. You have the opportunity to be “The Man” all over again. Whether it’s your kids, grandkids, nephews, or even strangers, realize that being older immediately means that the younger crowd is looking up to you. Take advantage of the ‘Respecting your elders’ rule. Don’t reminisce on your glory days too much, rather, recreate them in new ways.
6. 40 is the new 30. People are living longer now.
1. People seem to hate those big number birthdays. 30, 40, 50, and 60 just start to sound like nails on a chalkboard (so I’m told). I say fuck it, be proud you’ve made it to the next decade of your life.
2. Chances are, your metabolism has slowed. Sucks not being able to eat cheeseburgers and pizza for every meal while washing it down with a 12 pack right? Workouts might seem like more of a ‘must do’ than a ‘want to do’.
3. Technology has gotten better, yet more difficult.
4. Mid Life Crises. You’ve probably looked at that Ferrari and said to yourself, “I deserve that.” Well you shouldn’t. Ferraris are for douche bags. Spoil yourself when you deserve it, but just do it modestly.
I could have gone on for years about the perks of being 40 and older and couldn’t have come up with many more of this comical, made up, “Flaws”. Being 40 is cool. Be a cool dad if you’ve got the chance, be a good husband, be a mentor, and just be cool in general. Enjoy your aging years, they’ll be fun.