Do you like to smoke weed? Do you eat anything in sight, like most stoners I’ve seen? Not to worry. I’m going to lay out some delicious alternatives to the Oreos and Doritos that you’ve been snacking on during your pot smoking career.
In case you haven’t heard, recreational marijuana use and possession has been deemed legal in the states of Washington and Colorado. Crazy right? Actually, is it? I see Facebook posts and status’ constantly from my stoner friends comparing the use of marijuana to alcohol. Most often the comparisons show that alcoholism leads to anger issues, hangovers, puking, violence and more, while marijuana use leads to laziness, giggling, and a big appetite. I’m not here to discuss the health issues of either topic. That discussion could go on for years. My advice is, if you drink, drink moderately, and if you smoke weed, do it responsibly and moderately as well.
If you happen to live in any state where marijuana is legal or if you happen to smoke illegally, here are some alternatives in the food department that will hopefully lead you away from becoming the fat dump you could become (or may already be):
- Hummus- If you are not a hummus eater, you should be. Hummus is packed with protein, low in calories, and the nutrients in hummus satisfy your body’s hunger (even when you’re high). Wegman’s makes some awesome specialized hummus, and my next favorite has to be Sabra hummus.
- Wheat waffles with Nutella Chocolate (or Peanut Butter)- This delicious combo satisfies that sweet tooth you’ve been craving. The waffle/Nutella mix provides a healthy dose of fiber and protein. The chocolate also serves as an antioxidant and an aphrodisiac… Keeps you healthy and keeps the sex drive going.
- Nature Valley Protein Bars- My new favorite protein bar. One bar has only 6 grams of sugar, which is absolutely unheard of out of a protein bar, and 190 calories. The bar satisfies your sweet tooth, and also your salty tooth (if that exists). It is a perfect combo of the two.
- Guacamole- Make it before you smoke because we all know the laziness that comes with pot smoking. Guacamole is simple and easy to make. Look up a recipe and enjoy. I use an avocado, lime juice, garlic powder, and red onion. This snack is filled with antioxidants and is great for blood flow and for a healthy sex life.
- Fruit Smoothies- Also, incredibly easy to make, but better once freshly made. My advice, line up all the materials before you smoke and then mash it all together after. It is quick, easy, and delicious and is sure to take care of your desire of sugar. I like to always include one full banana in a fruit smoothie and then mix and match (or include all) strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, a small amount of milk, about a fourth to 1/2 a container of small yogurt or Greek yogurt, and some ice. Put it in a blender and boom!
- Beef Jerky- High in protein, low in fat. Great option. Jerky is very high in sodium so be aware of that.
- Cereal- As tempting as it will be to demolish a cereal with an overload of sugar, try not to. Find a healthier brand with lower sugars and higher fiber amounts. Once you’re stoned you won’t be able to tell the difference anyways.
- Whole Wheat/Whole Grain Toast with Peanut Butter- I love peanut butter. I think it’s good plain or with whatever you’d like to mix it with. It’s low in sugar and high in protein. Whole wheat/whole grain toast is a healthy option in the bread department.