Today’s Tip of the Day is for the dads out there: Teach your son a proper handshake.
No one respects the man who goes in and gives a weak handshake. If first impressions are made with the way you look, second impressions are made with a man’s handshake.
A handshake should be given like so:
- Use your right hand only when giving handshakes
- Extend your right hand out with your fingers spread
- Make contact with the other individual’s right hand and squeeze firmly
- Make eye contact while shaking the person’s hand
- Do not break contact with the individual’s hand until the “Introduction phase,” is over
- Do not shake up and down excessively. It is called a handshake, but really it is all about the grip. Shaking is sometimes not even necessary.
- Release the grip and continue conversation