We all have our own unique ways of waking ourselves up in the morning, but what do you do to fire up your fat burning furnace every morning? Here are a few ways to jump-start your metabolism and start your day off right.
- Get a good night sleep – Getting a full night’s sleep (8 hours) helps regulate two hormones called ghrelin and leptin.
- Eat a healthy breakfast - A high-protein breakfast with some good complex carbs and a small amount of fat will help to boost your metabolism and also maintain high energy levels throughout the day. Try things like eggs and mixed oats as a starting point.
- Drink cold water – Drinking 8 to 12 glasses of water per day will increase metabolic rates, meanwhile your body can burn a few calories heating the cold water to your core temperature. Try chasing your morning cup of coffee with a glass or two of ice-cold water.
- Add cinnamon - Cinnamon can also help stabilize blood sugar, thus increasing the metabolism of glucose. You can add cinnamon to herbal tea to get a cup of healthy and tasty tea. Alternatively, add a teaspoon of cinnamon to your breakfast cereal or oatmeal, sprinkle it on your toast or add it to your morning cup of coffee. It can also be added to fruit juices and ciders for the same purpose. Need another option? You can take cinnamon capsules as an easier alternative to the above.
- Workout - A good morning workout can be fast and simple. A light 5 to 10-minute jog followed by a circuit training style bodyweight workout involving things like pushups, pullups, squats, burpees, and crunches — lasting just 20 minutes or so — is a great example of effective morning exercise.
- Green Tea – Green tea is full of antioxidants that have multiple health benefits. It can aid in fat breakdown and controlling hunger. Green tea also promotes fat oxidation.